We ship calcium carbide in 1, 2.5, 5, 10, 30, and 55 gallon cans and drums. A 55 gallon drum may also contain 22 10-kg polybags of carbide. For your reference:
- 1 gallon can holds approx. 10 lbs of carbide
- 2.5 gallon can holds approx. 25 lbs
- 5 gallon can holds approx. 50 lbs
- 10 gallon can holds approx. 100 lbs
- 30 gallon drum holds approx. 300 lbs
- 55 gallon drum holds approx. 550 - 580 lbs
- 55 gallon drum w/ poly bags holds approx. 440 lbs
These containers were chosen not only for ease-of-use of the customer, but also due to their safety features and ability to pass Department of Transportation qualification.
As with all our containers, the cans and drums are air and water tight. The lid is removed readily without the need to break the container open. In steel mills, cans are often added directly to the molten steel where they melt and release the carbide.
Carbide Industries LLC also offers the option of calcium carbide in sealed, 10 kg polypropylene bags packed in metal drums. Customers appreciate that bags are lighter, the carbide is mixed into the process quicker (no can to melt), and the drum can be located close to the process so that carbide is not hand-carried very far.
The polypropylene bags are 6 mils thick and 22 bags are packed in a 55 gallon sealed metal drum. The bags are sealed with a metal band for safety and for ease of opening.